- Most volume loading can take many different kinds of volumes. If the volume is a bfloat or bshort volume, select one of the .bfloat or .bshort files. If the volume is a COR volume, select the COR-.info file.
TkMedit uses the Tk toolkit for its interface (the 'Tk' in 'TkMedit'). A nice feature of this toolkit is that all the menus are detachable and can become a separate window that stays up all the time. This is particularly useful when using the View menu. Just click on the top line of the menu when it comes down from the menu bar, and a window will take its place.
- Learn the keyboard shortcuts for volume navigation. The 'x', 'y', and 'z' keys will change orientations and the arrow keys will change slices. You can zoom in with Ctrl + (Ctrl-Shift =) and out with Ctrl -. You can also jump to the Navigation Tool by hitting the 'n' key and click around the volume, then return to the tool you were using previously. Mouse over the tool buttons in the Main toolbar to see their keyboard equivalents.
- Find yourself using certain toolbars? You can set environment variables to automatically hide or show without using the View menu. Set TKMEDIT_TOOLBAR_MAIN, TKMEDIT_TOOLBAR_NAV, or TKMEDIT_TOOLBAR_RECON to 0 or 1 to hide or show the main, navigation, or reconstruction toolbars, respectively.
- All file dialog boxes have a menu at the top which you can use to jump to specific directories to find data quickly. Additionally, you can specify your own shortcut directory by setting the environment variable FREESURFER_DATA.
- Some of the toolbar buttons have additional functionality when control-clicked. You can Control+right click the Surface, Main/Aux Volume, Segmentation, and Overlay buttons to bring up loading dialog boxes. If those data types are loaded, you can Control+left click those buttons to bring up the configuration dialogs relevant for that type of data. You can also right click the Main/Aux Volume buttons to show a menu of volumes in the subject's MRI directory (if available) to load into the corresponding volume slot.